Thursday, June 17, 2010

Family BEFORE Furniture

Not too long ago I mentioned that lots of things were going on in my personal life ~ my husband and stepson (who had moved in with us because his own mother kicked him out) moved out and got THEIR OWN place, then my daughter and her three children moved in with me because her relationship wasn't working out ~ it has been a very delicate and difficult, to say the least, situation for me. 

I must say I miss my husband being here at home but things were getting out of control ~ I wasn't able to handle HIS son living here and then HIS son bringing his two young (9 mo. and 2 yr.) children over every other day .....my stepson wasn't working so he would pick up his kids from daycare and bring them to our home.  I didn't understand what his reason was for this ~ it wasn't like he was taking them to the zoo, to the park or anything really special ~ he would keep them in the bedroom with him the entire time ....just didn't make sense to me.  When I would tell my husand how I felt about this, we would begin to argue, and as a parent, you will always defend your child's actions....right or wrong.

Now I have MY daughter and MY grandchildren living with me ~ I think this is even MORE difficult because I'm now sort of a built-in sitter ~ I ask God everyday to forgive me for not understanding why my stepson needed to pick up his kids every other day and bring them to my home; now I have MY daughter and grandkids here EVERYDAY......Is God trying to tell me something?  I think so ~

Since all this has happened, it has been more difficult than ever to paint and create beautiful furniture ~ I love what I do but when you have kids around all the time, you have to take care of them, cook for them, clean the kitchen, then cook again, do more laundry, etc., etc. ~ you get the picture.  I try not to mention my saddness or frustration to my daughter because I don't want her to think that I don't support her decision or that I wish my husband was back home.

I have come to the conclusion that I have to put family before furniture ~ I will continue to work everyday but can probably only finish one piece at a time instead of two or three, like I use to.

In the meantime, my husband and I talk everyday, on the phone, and hope that things will change.

God is always answering my prayers so I will leave it to him to decide what is best.

More pictures of pieces that I'm working on as soon as I can finish one.

Thanks for stopping by♥

9 comments:

  1. Yep you are right family is before furniture...Designer outdoor furniture

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother went through a very similar situation as you face. I can only tell you that there *is* light at the end of the tunnel. And I truly believe everyone is stronger for having gone through the experience.

    I just discovered your blog, I look forward to your updates! {{hugs}} to you furing this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Better After, and I'm sorry you're going through such a difficult time right now. Hope you find the answers you're looking for -- just don't forget that you're important, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Better After. We all go through trying times. They could be called growth spurts. I will pray that your family will heal and become whole again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you are going through this. May the Lord answer your prayers and fill your and your husband's heart with peace and forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm here from Better After too...you are very talented. Sorry things aren't going as planned. I hope things get sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also visiting from Better After. Sounds like a very difficult time. Hang in there and don't loose your hobbies that probably help keep you sane.

    I lived with my parents when I became a mom at 19. It was challenging but they set guidelines and I was finishing college and moved out after I graduated. It was a blessing otherwise I could have never met my now husband and provided my child with the life she has.

    It was made clear to me and I respected that my mom had a life too. She was not my babysitter. It worked out well and I pray you will find that balance in your home.

    During this difficult time you are offering your grandchildren and daughter a safe and warm place to call home. What a blessing you are to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~ hugs to you ~

    LOVE your blog ~ another one to add to my favs:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this. I came here to look at your furniture and got a dose of the realization that other people have tough times, too. Sorry about all the upheaval, I know that times of change can almost be worst than times of outright trouble. I too struggle with maintaining my faith that I will land someplace safer and better than where I was before. The part where you are flying through the air can be expecially tough, though. Not to mention a real squash on the creative process. I hope that your troubles will manifest themselves in a new level of talent and creativity that shines through in your work. Blessings to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete